Thursday, November 16, 2006

my first police complaint!!!

I have never been to a police station before... Yesterday, I went for the first time to register a complaint about loss of my mobile... We went there not with a hope of tracing my mobile but just to get acknoeledgement receipt so that i can get the same number from AIRTEL people...

It was a painful experience, I must say... I went along with kalyan who happened to be omniscient regarding whereabout's and howabout's... We have chosen Yeshwantapura police station as it is next to our institute... As soon as we entered the police station, the very sight is unfriendly and people there in khakhi dress look like 'yama dootha's... The SI over there handed me over a feeble piece of paper to write down the complaint... when i wrote subject as 'theft of mobile', he has immediately taken that paper and torn it out, while giving a look as if he is looking at some uncivilized people... then, he started questioning like 'who are you?', 'where do you reside?', etc... when we told that we are residing in indian institute of science, he was inquiring about which part of IISc are we staying? regardless of the answers given by us, he says our insti. doesn't come under their police station range... later, he wanted me to draw the road map to my place from the police station... meanwhile, he ignores us and counts the money(unofficial) he has earned that day... then, he went to Inspector and explained the situation... Inspector too has asked all the same questions and gave similar conclusions... finally, when i have shown my ID card, (i don't know what changed his mind... whether he thought that he should not collect any amount from us or felt sympathy for poor educated souls), he has given me another feeble piece of paper and asked me to write 'loss of mobile' rather than 'theft of mobile'...

finally, he has given us the acknowledgement(which is obviously another feeble piece of paper) and my job done (may god bless this SI)... but, what really pained me is the way they treated us... if this is how they are treating people who are sufficiently educated, what might be the situation with innocent, ignorant, and poor people? I cannot imagine... It seems it is highly futile exercise to seek help from police station unless there is no other way!!!

No comments: